Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Eating Out

If any one of you has ever read the book "Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day", then you've seen the phrase "some days are like that...even in Austrailia."

Well, that was my mantra yesterday "some days are like this...somedays are like this..." It didn't help. I thought I was being a good parent by letting them sleep in until 10:00. I thought I was being a good parent by taking them to their friends house to play, and I thought I was being a good parent by taking them out to eat! In fact, now that I think about it--I was being a good parent; they were just not being good kids.

Creighton was really weepy yesterday (which is completely out of character for him!!) and he cried about everything--right down to the color of his popcorn bowl. Addy was pretty good until right before we went out to eat, then her weepiness and attitude came out strong.

So, picture this. We arrived at the restaurant with our friends (who also have three kids) and we are seated. Now, if you were one of the two older gentlemen sitting behind us, this is probably when you would have started to panic. I'm sure one said to the other "we better eat fast".

I'm sure they started eating faster and faster as they watched the next series of events transpire. As the waitress was delivering all of our drinks, I reached across the table not realizing she was behind my about to give me my drink. So, I pulled my arm back at the same time she was reaching to set my drink down and I elbowed the water right out of her hand! It went everywhere, but mainly onto my chair and all over the butt of my pants. While we were still cleaning that up, Creighton was at the other end of the table sobbing because we ordered him Root Beer and he really wanted Rasberry Iced Tea.

Nate took Creighton took the bathroom and had a talk with him. They came back and all was well for the moment. Then, the food came. I gave Addy a little bit of food from Creighton's plate (she hardly eats anything...) and as soon as I set it in front of her, the wailing began. She wanted applesauce, not fries and she wanted more sandwhich. Addy was crying so loud that her friend, sitting next to her, was plugging her ears. Again, imagine the scene... And just who do these ungrateful children belong to??

The gentlemen behind us were hanging in there until Nate got up to help Tyson with something and his chair tipped over! I couldn't get up to pick up the chair or I would flash my "peed on" pants to everyone (by this point there were some new people around us who hadn't seen the water spill). Nate couldn't pick it up because he was helping Tyson (and I'm not sure he even saw it tip!). So, it just laid there while we sat and laughed.

I couldn't hear, but I'm guessing the men behind us caught their waitress as soon as they could and asked for their check.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Someday when they're all grown up you'll look back and wish you could have just one more restaurant embarrassment with them. Well, maybe you won't, but at least you'll laugh about it. :-)