Thursday, April 17, 2008

The Doctor

This is a really long post--you might have to read it in segments!! =)
Every time we visit the pediatrician's office, I get plenty of material for a blog entry! =) We went for Addy's 4 year check-up today and it was a wild time...
As soon as we stepped out of the house this morning it started pouring, so I loaded all 3 kids in the van in the pouring rain and unloaded them at the doctor in the pouring rain and hauled them all in. I kept my eyes straight ahead and was thankful there weren't too many people there to give me the "why isn't that one in school?" look. So, we sit in the waiting room--my kids saying "can I touch this?" "mom, can I please touch the marker so I can draw a picture?" I have just recently allowed my kids to touch a few things in the doctor's office (only if they promise to not put their hands in their mouths!!), so that has been exciting for them! We got back to the room and the nurse was in there talking to Addy and kindly gave her a book to take home. Creighton was quick to point out that we already had that book, so she went to find another one and sure enough--we had them all. So, I'm giving Creighton the lecture about being thankful for what we are given (even if we already have it) when the nurse breaks the news that Addy is getting shots today. Addy started screaming (as loud as she would if she was actually getting a shot right then) and it was downhill from there. Not only was I wet from the rain, but I was wet from sweating so bad. I'm carrying my 19 pound baby (holding him in the croch and 1/2 dropping him), lecturing my 6 year-old and calming my screaming daughter when the doctor walked in. He's probably thinking "I hope she doesn't have any more..." and I'm thinking "why can't they make these rooms bigger and where is the air conditioning???" So, we went on, he checked Addy--she looked great. They checked her eyesight and she did great (I'm not sure if she can really see or if she just got the answers right because Creighton was telling her...)! Then, it was time for the shots. The nurse came in and pulls out the needle while Addy is looking right at her and she stabs it in and then says "can you sing me a song sweetie? How about Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star?" Now, that is Addy's favorite song, but all she gave the nurse was a very loud "NO!" So, the nurse continues to stab 3 more shots in her arms all the time asking her in a sing-song voice "how about the ABC's? How about the Curious George song?" Then she turns to me and asks "is there a Curious George song?" I don't know...and if I did, would now be a good time for me to sing it for you? I don't think so.
So, we get the shots over with and she got a sucker, a sticker, some bracelets and a pencil--she didn't want any of it. So, it's time to go on to Audiology to get her ears checked. We have a problem...Addy won't move her arms AT ALL so I can't put her shirt on. So, I spend 5 minutes making her put on her shirt (I'm still sweating and starting to feel really claustrophobic and STILL holding my 19 pound baby...) and we head on upstairs to Audiology. The lady comes out to get Addy and was so nice--picture the nicest lady coming out and saying to Addy "I'm going to make some sounds and you're going to raise your hand on the side where you hear the sound, ok?" Addy just looks at her all teary-eyed (looking like a robot because she STILL won't move her arms...) and says "I can't move my arms". The lady looked at me like "what??" The only thing I could say was "she just got shots--we'll see how this goes..." She did fine and we left. On our way out the front door, I noticed Creighton was no longer wearing a coat...I asked him where it was and he goes "oh...maybe I left it in the room where we saw the doctor..." Well, did you or didn't you?? I need to know because I'm going to drop your baby brother if we have to go back and check too many places. Then he decided he must have left it upstairs in Audiology. We ran back to get it and finally left. I felt like I had been there for 3 hours...I realized later I forgot to have the kids sanatize their hands when we left, so we'll probably be back in a week to do it all again!

No comments: