Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Four Year-Old Math and Philosophy

Addy is really getting good learning math recently. Here are a couple of mathmatical conversations her and I have had in the past week:

Conversation #1
Addy: Mom, do you know what 1 + 1 is?
Me: Yep, it's 2.
Addy: (laughing) Noooo, it's not 2! It's 11!

Conversation #2
Creighton is working on solving for an unknown in math right now, so him and I were playing a game. I (or he) would say "together we are 10, you are 6, what am I?" Then, he (or I) would tell the missing number. Addy decided she wanted to play too...here was her problem.

Addy: Together we are 9, you are 40, what am I?

Somehow, I don't think she's getting it quite yet...

She's also into philosophy--here's another conversation between her and I that took place recently:

Addy: Mom! Guess what we read? (this was after their bedtime Bible story)
Me: What?
Addy: We read that Jesus died for our sins.
Me: Yeah, that's a really good thing to remember. Jesus made a huge sacrifice for all of us. And so did God--He sent His one and only Son to die just for us!
Addy: (very thoughtful) Yeah...but we also learned that Jesus is God, so...did God kill Himself?

It took everything in me not to laugh at her thought process on that one... =)

1 comment:

Kelli said...

only the kiddos think like that! Too bad we don't all think like that sometimes!